Friday, July 12, 2013

The great London burger challenge

I love burgers. I love them for lunch, I love them for dinner, I love them spontaneously and I love them on special occasions. I want them in my face, 24/7.

This bad boy was consumed at Beefcakes in Cape Town. Just look at that ooze!

Fortunately for me, London is bursting with burger joints, so I'm making it my mission to work my way through them all. These are the ones I've tried so far:

The Diner

I love The Diner less for its burgers and more for its hard shakes (the Choconaut! It will change your life!), but it's a pretty close second to Byron. These are also dotted all over London, and I can speak for the Angel, Covent Garden and Soho branches. The selection isn't huge, but I'm a big fan of their "build your own" options - last time I tried my original burger with guacamole and sour cream on the side and it was glorious.

Byron

Byron is popping up all over the place, and I've sampled their offerings at Wardour Street and Store Street. Excellent burger, even if there are only a few interesting topping options. To be honest, the original is pretty good all by itself. Love the courgette fries and their GIANT onion rings, and they make a mean chocolate milkshake. This one's a favourite.



It's THAT big


Not a bad start, but I've got a long way to go. This challenge will be my Everest.

Patty&Bun

I've spent a few weeks working in Marylebone and every time I venture up to Oxford Street at lunchtime there is a long queue outside Patty&Bun on James Street. I won't lie, the pictures of their offerings on the website look a little grease-tastic, but if I'm going to eat my way through all the burgers in London, I can't miss this one out. 

Burgers & Cocktails

Literally across the street from Patty & Bun, Burgers & Cocktails has just about everything I want on a menu. A good selection of burgers, hard shakes, and even chicken goujons (be still, my beating heart) as a starter. I really like the sound of their Lamb Slammer: Lamb patty marinated in roast garlic and mint, served with a ramekin of tzatziki. 

Psychic Burger

Psychic Burger was just featured in Emerald Street's daily mailer, and I'm sold already! I love that they're based up north in Stoke Newington. It's got a fairly limited menu, but I like the sound of "psychic sauce" and I'm downright intrigued by the Soft Shell Crab Burger. 

MEATLiquor

You can't talk about burgers in London without mentioning MEATLiquor. I'm a bit terrified by the sound of their ruthless seating policy (no reservations, no seating of incomplete parties - bit of a problem in London where everyone is always late). I'm also less enamoured of their menu, which is very cheese heavy (am I the only person in existence who is not a fan of cheeseburgers?), so consider this one purely for the purpose of a complete survey of London burgers.

Haché

At last, a menu selection to rival that of Royale, my favourite burger purveyor in Cape Town (god, I miss their Sweet Petunia burger). I'm excited to try this one out! Haché also seem a little too fond of cheese for my liking, but there's a long list of beef, chicken, lamb, fish and veggie burger options, so I'm sure I'll find something to my taste.

If you've tried any of these places or others that should be on this list, please don't keep it to yourself, yo. Comment below!

3 comments:

  1. A quick facebook check followed by a hunger-driven click on your burger blog and I've found a partner in crime for Psychic burger - we live right there and are keen to try it out, let me know if you go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and also potentially "The Advisory", calorie-count pending:
    http://burgeranarchy.com/reviews/the-advisory-hackney-london

    ReplyDelete

Follow  <b>reberoodle</b> on Twitter